Thursday, October 14, 2010

Opinions Wanted: My Entryway

This is the entryway of our apartment:


We rent. I have to be nice in this post because our landlord is also my husband's father.

I actually really like our apartment. Honestly, I do, and I'm not just saying it for my in-laws, even though I'm pretty sure they don't read this blog. It's a perfect situation for us. The rooms are very large and it has its own washer and dryer. It's also very architectural and rustic, which makes sense for our rural Utah location. I'd take photos but my house is a mess. There's a big raw brick fireplace and raw wood beams all over.

The only thing that I itch to change...

The paint.



It's white. There's nothing really wrong with white. But I long for color on my walls, especially since there's so much wall. And the rest of the apartment is, like I said, very warm and rustic. So white just doesn't belong, in my opinion.

So for the past while I've been thinking about paint options, and finally today I snapped a picture and slapped up some fake paint in Photoshop.

At first I wanted to do a rust orange color, sort of like this:

It might be a little peachy, but you get the idea. The problem is, our kitchen walls are covered in rust colored countertop stuff. What is that countertop stuff? Formica, maybe? I'm not very knowledgeable about these things.

And since our kitchen directly adjoins the entryway, I'm thinking it might be orange overload.

Then I thought about yellow...

...and a neutral. This would be, in my opinion, the fool-proof color. It's neutral, smart, and it will go with any season or decor, both of which change often around here.

I thought avocado might be neat, too. I thought it could be a good complement to the orange kitchen. On the other hand, it might be straying way too far into tacky '60's land.

I think I'll put this one up to a poll. Which color should I paint my entryway?


No comments:

Post a Comment