Sunday, September 5, 2010

Shrooms

OK, I have to admit, as I'm looking at the above image, I'm realizing what huge drug overtones I've given to this illustration. Oh, dear. It seriously wasn't on purpose. I feel so dumb now! I was thinking along the lines of food and how I just like mushrooms.

I made this little illustration because I just needed a break from doing dishes/other, more serious, more taxing design projects. I've had the little mushroom in my sketch book so I traced out the imperfections, scanned it into illustrator, and went to work playing with the colors and composition. And then I started thinking about how sometimes I like to eat mushrooms. How fall is coming and it's the perfect time to start incorporating something warm and mushroomy into our diets. At the same time, I wanted to add a typographic element to the design, too. At first it was the word "mushroom" but how boring is that? So I came up with something a little more creative. So, yeah, this was meant to be more of a food related thing than an advocacy for drug use.

Believe me, nobody is more of a non-druggie than me. If you know me, you'll know this is a fact. I've always sort of been a goody two-shoes. And I like it that way. It keeps me right where I like to be--out of trouble. I've never been offered drugs, and being the straight-laced girl that I am, I probably wouldn't have taken them anyway. I'm just that way.

ANYWAYS. I think it's funny how sometimes themes that are TOTALLY not me at all, come out in my work. I wonder why that is?

Also, I'm thinking this illustration could spawn a whole slew of food-themed, '70's posters. To match all those avocado appliances out there. Or mustard colored sinks, like the one in our apartment right now. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment