Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Brought to you by the letter A



This is another work in progress. I've been wanting to try hand lettering for a while now. I've been working on the whole alphabet, I'm just about 1/3 done with it. Hand lettering is actually a lot more fun than I expected. It is quite a process; this A has been through several sketches and refinements to get it to this point, but the perfectionist in me likes to nitpick every line and angle.

I don't know the "right" way to go about hand lettering. I knew I didn't want to base my letters off any existing fonts. I started with a small thumbnail sketch. Then I scanned it into the computer and drew it with the pen tool in Illustrator. Next, I printed it out and did my refinements by hand, scanned it back, and repeated the process a few more times.

When I'm setting type, I prefer more blocky fonts like Rockwell but I find that I enjoy drawing letters in a more scripty feminine style.

My goal is to finish this alphabet and end up with a bunch of different monograms! It will be a slow process because I can't bring myself to draw letters all the time. Gotta come up for air. I'll probably have another letter up in a week or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment