Saturday, August 28, 2010

Baby Silhouettes

HI! It's been a while since I posted. Turns out, taking care of a 10-month old, turning berries into jam, cleaning house, and setting up an Etsy shop is *kinda* time consuming. I have to say, I have not had tons of time to just sit and dream and sketch and do personal work lately.

Finally, though, I sat down tonight and fleshed out an idea that's been floating around in my brain for a while.

Remember those silhouettes that your kindergarten teacher did of you? Where you sit in front of a light and the teacher traces the outline of your head and shoulders in profile? And then you took the paper and cut it out and glued it onto another paper? No? Oh. Darn. Well, I remember my kindergarten teacher did that for my class, way back when. I thought it was the coolest. I still think it is pretty awesome. But, I thought, what if you could create something really pretty, something that kind of harks back to those silhouettes of the 1800's, but is still modern, so that you could have something gorgeous to preserve the memory of your kid while he's still little and slobbers and smiles every time he sees you and can't sass? (I like run-on sentences.)

Well, here it is, my glorified Kindergarten project:



I love, love, LOVE this. It's my son's head, but I'm still fleshing out the boy pattern and I had the flowery girl one all ready to go, so poor JC got renamed and had flowers put on his head.

Oh well.

Look for it soon in my Etsy shop! This might be my favorite project of mine so far. What do you think of it?

1 comment: